mercoledì 14 gennaio 2009

Gut decisions

Can you write about an intuitive decision that made recently? How did it turn out? How would it have been different if you had used reason?

I sometimes make gut decisions when I step into the Albert Heijn of Zuidplein. I usually have the intention of simply buying a coffee, but then I always end up buying also something else, either the triple chocolate cookie or the chocolate muffin, especially when one of those it's on sale and it only costs 1 €.
It's mostly a decision taken because of the smell of chocolate that takes over my conscious will or the irrational need of chocolate to get through a school day... Only one thing it's sure: reason has nothing to do with it.
When I take a bite of my muffin/cookie I'm usually overwhelmed by a feeling of satisfaction and delight that make me forget for a moment of the extra sugar I've fatten my body with, something I know I'll regret next time i'll look at myself in the mirror. However, I like to believe that -to some extent- it's better to regret something you've done than something you haven't done, so I don't make THAT big deal out of it, and i promise myself next time I'll be wiser.
If I had to use reason, I'll think that I don't need that cookie/muffin to get through the day, it's not that highly nutritional for my body and however cheap it can be, it's still too much for something I don't need. However, this kind of reasoning is way too hard to be made in the morning, when my conscious will is still basically sleeping or busy listening to music, so that my instincts and my subconscious take over. Maybe some of these days I'll learn.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento